
Assignment 4b
El sueño de la Malinche
(”The Dream of Malinche”)
Antonio Ruíz (1939), Mexico
I came across this piece because I researched about the life of Malinche. She seemed to be a very powerful women and was a major influence in how the conquest of Americas became about, especially those places conquered by Cortes. She is a big part of history. I came about this piece because I know that many artists have portrayed Malinche and I wanted to look into some of those art pieces. This piece contains a lot of imagery and hidden symbolism.
This artwork is a painting of La Malinche. She is lying in a bright bed while the background contrast with it by being a darker color. The artist did this because he wanted to emphasize her. The wall behind her is starting to chipp and crack. The folds on Malinche's sheets form a mountain with a small village on it. At the top of the mountain there is a larger house. The artist uses a lot of intricate colors and many shades of contrasting yellow and blue.
I choose this piece of art because it seems to represent the position that Malinche was in. She lived a comfortable life with the luxuries of the Spaniards, yet she was not free. She was trapped, which meant she could not follow her dreams. In her biography it explained that she was next in line to rule, but since her mother didn't want her to, she gave her away and passed her off as dead. The atcual figure is painted to represent a very strong women. The body of Malinche is painted to be very big. Malinche however, did live to be what she was destined. She did help govern a village, but became considered a traitor by many people. And I think that the mountain on her bed is what she most dreamed about and that was to govern her village.
I would like to know more about the history of this painting. Where is it displayed and did it stir up any controversy when it came out publicaly? I know that this painting is diplayed at the International Exhibition of Surrealism in the Mexican Art Gallery in Mexico City.
No comments:
Post a Comment