Monday, March 23, 2009

Assignment 3b

Mayan Temple: Chichen Itza
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyvw6G9Max0

I came across this piece while researching assignment 3a. This relates to my studies of the humanities because I am very interested in the Mayan culture. I have actually been to this pyramid and have climbed the steps all the way to the top. This city is really fascinating in its architecture.
The temple Chichen Itza is made of stone. It was built after foreign influence from central Mexico in the Mayan culture. it is built in a very precise and mathematical way. It shows the Mayan's skill and understanding in mathematics and astronomy. Twice a year, a shadow that represents a serpent is casted along the side. As the day progresses, the shadow seems to wriggle into the ground to meet up with the head of a serpent made of stone.
The temple was referred to El Castillo by the Spaniards. The temple is 79 feet high and has 365 steps, which represent the days of the year.
This artwork is about mystery. It is a fascinating structure that we know very little about.
I decided to chose this art because I feel a strong relationship to it. Having visited, makes me wonder how the culture was and why the people decided to abandon the city. It is also amazing how they figured out the exact dimensions in order for the shadow to cast twice a year. If it was a centimeter longer or shorter, it would not produce the same effect.
I would like to know about the plans of this temple. How it was designed and how it was actually built.

No comments:

Post a Comment